Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Pursuit of Perfection

The Saints weren’t the only ones looking to continue their pursuit of perfection Monday night.

I was trying to reach an almost equally difficult and significant form of perfection: the Perfect Pick Week. For years, I have been picking NFL games in pocket-sized notebooks, on facebook applications or in Yahoo pick ‘em leagues. There are the bad weeks (fighting to reach .500) and the good (only three or four games wrong!). But never once have I reached that seemingly impossible perfect pick summit.

Going into the MNF game I was a perfect 15-0. Week 12 of the 2009 season had been the perfect combination of luck and skill, favorites winning and the right underdog picks. It took a 99-yard game-winning drive by Vince Young and overtime in Baltimore to maintain the perfection.

So for MNF, I decided to ride my perfect streak on the Saints losing theirs. I mean it’s the Patriots, Tom Brady, primetime…and the Saints have to lose sometime, right?

Wrong. 38-17 Saints.



15-1. So close to the perfect mark but just short, like Billy Cundiff’s end of regulation FG that gave me agita last night. Like a total solar eclipse, getting this close to the perfect week does not happen often. But I will continue my quest for pick perfection. I feel like Odysseus on his 20-year long journey home. It may take months or years (please football gods, not 20 more!) to reach this elusive pinnacle but if the Patriots can complete the perfect season, one day I will have the Perfect Pick Week. And I won’t cheat to do it…no sneaking a peek at competitors’ picks. Yeah, that’s right Bill Belichick…no spying from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment