Tuesday, November 17, 2009

24 Hours of College Basketball

Today is "Reading Day" for me. It's that special quarterly day that falls between the last day of classes and the first day of finals. It's a day to study or for many (and my purposes), sleep in. But this year it is also another very special day...ESPN's now annual 24-hour college hoops tip-off marathon.

And it is literally 24 hours...live. For the first time, the Worldwide Leader televised live college basketball games at 6 AM and 8 AM eastern. Both were played at locations in the eastern time zone, the first at St. Peter's in New Jersey and the latter at Niagara in New York.

Franky, I'm surprised the schools involved agreed to such early start times, despite the publicity they could possibly receive. I'm not sure how many people were up to watch those games; I know I was still well asleep. But then again, if Ohio were to play at 6 AM, I would be setting my alarm for 5 AM and heading right over to the Convo. And think about the fun promotion possibilities! Pajama party, coffee chugoff, bagel eating contest, etc.

So, no complaints on my side about the early starts. The more college basketball, the better. I got to watch Cal State Fullerton defeat UCLA in 2OT before I went to bed and then woke up to Siena playing Northeastern. Am I full yet from this all-day buffet of college basketball? Certainly not. Let the madness begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment